Finding Balance...
As we wind down our adventure in the south, we are forced to look at our lives and analyze our progression/neglects/habits/schedules/etc. What have we made of ourselves these past 3 years? Are we better than we were before coming to Charleston? Have we accomplished our goals and hopes? Well, in some ways, yes. But, lately we've felt a strong desire for BALANCE. In general, we all need less "plugged-in" time and more physical exercise. We all need more spirituality and scripture reading time. We all need more organization. We all need to play more and we all need to smile! One on one time with kids, date-nights, temple attendance, are all on the list, to name a few. So, with the help of our kindergartner's curriculum, we've decided to make a family contract each week. We list things (centers) that need to be done, work and play, and we check them off as we do them. Just a little balance check to make sure I'm not cleaning and Joel isn't reading Perio articles all the time.
I feel like my day is successful if I can keep the house mostly clean, children and spouse well-fed, exercise, read, sing/play piano, get places on time, and maintain a positive attitude. That means no yelling. That means using my "mom" skills to diffuse tempers and turn frowns into giggles. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've started reading the Twilight Series. It's border-line obsession right now, but I'm having fun getting lost in silly books (you know it's bad when you start dreaming about vampires). I hardly ever read for pleasure... time does not permit, so this is a good thing.
Kimball has started Karate and Clara has started dance. Both are doing GREAT and love it. I am so amazed at the growth in confidence. I hope to never over-program my kids, but I really want them to develop talents and feel good about their improvements. Next year we'll start piano lessons for both. That's a must.
Life is crazy, but hopefully we can find methods in our madness. I'm a little apprehensive about moving back to the business of LA. I'm totally excited, but a little nervous. This quiet, somewhat selfish, lifestyle has ruined me for big cities. I don't know if I can handle the chaos!!!
Well, sorry about the ramble, but I feel better...oh, journaling! That's a great center for the contract. Hope you all can find the balance that brings peace to your own families. Good luck!
I feel like my day is successful if I can keep the house mostly clean, children and spouse well-fed, exercise, read, sing/play piano, get places on time, and maintain a positive attitude. That means no yelling. That means using my "mom" skills to diffuse tempers and turn frowns into giggles. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've started reading the Twilight Series. It's border-line obsession right now, but I'm having fun getting lost in silly books (you know it's bad when you start dreaming about vampires). I hardly ever read for pleasure... time does not permit, so this is a good thing.
Kimball has started Karate and Clara has started dance. Both are doing GREAT and love it. I am so amazed at the growth in confidence. I hope to never over-program my kids, but I really want them to develop talents and feel good about their improvements. Next year we'll start piano lessons for both. That's a must.
Life is crazy, but hopefully we can find methods in our madness. I'm a little apprehensive about moving back to the business of LA. I'm totally excited, but a little nervous. This quiet, somewhat selfish, lifestyle has ruined me for big cities. I don't know if I can handle the chaos!!!
Well, sorry about the ramble, but I feel better...oh, journaling! That's a great center for the contract. Hope you all can find the balance that brings peace to your own families. Good luck!
3 comments:
Thank you, this is such a great reminder about balance and I definitely need to work on it. THANKS!!
Oh, how true - I too have been working hard on getting balance into my life, and maintaining it! When are you guys done? When are you heading back to LA?
amen to that! thank you for that...exactly how i feel. sometimes you just get in survival mode and lose the balance. I do understand your apprehension about the big city....you will find what you love about it again but it will be different to you. you are different after your experiences there....i have totally felt it. i am so not used to being around all these people with all the "stuff" for lack of a better word...the cars, the houses, the clothes....it is all about that in orange county. not used to it anymore. if we had moved down here from LA it would not have phased me but now after Seattle it is so strange to me. People here have NO idea how really good they have it. I am so excited you guys will be close again. we will have to work out ways to get together. good luck these next few months...they do get crazy but it is sooo nice to finally arrive to the place you can settle down and stay a while. i am soooo sick of moving! this is a nice phase i promise. still stressful but in very different ways....a paycheck is nice too! talk soon.
xoxo
Post a Comment