Sunday, May 10, 2009

Is Salmon Skin Edible?
Happy Mother's day, y'all. Joel made me a wonderful dinner after church, a family favorite, Salmon with Tomatoe Basil Beurre Blanc, Rice, Strawberries and Blueberries. We all LOVE salmon, especially the kids, so much so that Kimball wanted to try the skin...eek! He did and loved it. I couldn't stand to watch him, but later found this. I guess it won't kill him, but ew, gross!
So the day started out pretty depressing. Most Mother's days are...all the reminders of what I should be. Then I have those unrealistic (unintentional but inevitable) expectations for husband and children to bring me breakfast, keep the house clean, and do all the work. Not good. Then to top off these yucky feelings, Tessa woudn't nurse, and hadn't nursed since yesterday morning. (My children are not self weaners, so this was very odd). She had bitten me and my reaction scared her (flick). So, I guess that was my punishment. After church she finally gave in and ended the battle, so my day immediately got better. I never get post-pardom depression until my children stop breast feeding. I usually have a day or two of tears, then I'm fine, right? Well, I was not going to spend my mother's day sad, so I'm happy the fight is over!
I did have an epiphany today. I realized that instead of glorifying what most mothers (like me) are not, I am going to take the opportunity to reflect and BECOME. I am so grateful to be a mother and to have been entrusted with these little guys. Heavenly Father must have a lot of faith in me to raise them. I feel so blessed to be a mother. I love my husband and feel so lucky to have him. He gave me three little miracles. I only hope I can become a better mother and wife.
Now we are watching Tom and Jerry while Daddy and Tess sleep. Storm's a brewing outside. I think I'll nap and listen to the thunder!

1 comment:

Christie said...

Love it Lindsay. The unrealistic expectations get me every time too. I also had that moment today when I realized: I have everything I have ever wanted. How blessed am I? Now I just need to work on deserving it all.