A Member of the Family...
Dad-"Clara how was your day today?"
Clara-"My monkey prince was sad because he got a shot. But, he didn't cry."
Or, just last night at the dinner table,
Clara-"I have a boy baby in my tummy with my monkey prince."
Mom-"So, is your baby a monkey or a little boy?"
Clara-"He's a monkey. We're kind of a monkey family, and you and Daddy are kind of monkeys too. But, Kimball tries to destroy my love with my monkey prince."
Mom- "He does?"
Clara- "Yeah, and you don't understand me. You and daddy are trying to destroy my love."
Mom-"Oh dear."
Should we be concerned? Well, in my experience, which is really none, I think that children with imaginary friends have a chance to mull over confusing issues of life, eg. (1. Clara just went through a round of Rocephin shots for some stubborn ear infections, 2. Baby #3 in my tummy). Also, the child develops pretty good verbal skills and social understanding. Clara is pretty shy, but get her started on her monkey prince, and she does not stop talking, to complete strangers in fact.
People once thought imaginary friends were rare - they are not. They once thought they were a red flag - they are not. So, we'll continue to let monkey prince be a part of our dinner, car, park, outing conversations. Let's just not try to "destroy any love!"
4 comments:
Hey Lindsey, I'm not going to claim to be an expert (because I am SO not), but I agree that you should just let Clara have her little monkey prince friend. Oftentimes, children's play is a manifestation of internal issues that they are trying to sort out (i.e. Clara's shots, then giving shots to Monkey Prince). That's why with children we use imaginary play so often in therapy. She could just be trying to gain some control over changes in her life and your family structure. It's good for her right now, she'll eventually grow out of it.
On the other hand, it's entirely possible that Clara's just plain crazy. From what I understand, Joel also had an imaginary friend (I think it was back in like 2006). The result -- mustache parties, dental school, friends like me. So, good luck with that.
Super stoked to see you guys over Christmas. Looking forward to dropping by the pad in SC this Summer.
Oh my goodness! This is so cute, hysterical, and fun. I think Monkey Prince is here to stay. Just watch Kimball, so he doesn't destroy the love!
Hi Lindsay!
I was just found your blog and it is so great to see what is happening over there in S.C. Your kids are so cute and so grown up!!! I can't believe how that happens. Hope things are going well and congrats on baby #3. xo, Camille
p
Post a Comment